Brenda Brown, Branch Manager
What We Do
We provide open, non-judgmental access to collections and services without regard to race, citizenship, age, educational level, economic status, religion, or any other qualifications or conditions. The library is to serve the total community by providing free and open access to the ideas and information available on all subjects and in all formats. We select and make available materials for the enlightenment, cultural enrichment and enjoyment of its public of all ages, levels of abilities and interest. Also, we advocate and support the First Amendment Rights[get-extapp-icons app=”extlink”] and the Library Bill of Rights[get-extapp-icons app=”extlink”], and protect library materials from censorship.
The Washington County Library System provides staff, collections, physical and virtual spaces that promote ideas, inspire lifelong learning, and strengthen communities. Our objectives are:
- Provide collections and services to meet community needs and interests
- Promote the Washington County Library System, the Utah State Library, and all library services available in the state
- Promote the awareness and use of library resources, services, and programs
- Develop and maintain working relationships with other libraries and with cultural, educational, social, and informational agencies
- Attract and develop a high-quality staff with special skills, knowledge, and abilities to help library users
- Create an environment which motivates staff to achieve high levels of performance, productivity, and professional development
- Exercise prudence in the utilization of human, financial, and physical resources
- Utilize appropriate technologies to maintain and improve library operations and services
- Provide and maintain clean, open, and welcoming facilities
Brenda has 26 years of experience with Washington County Library System and has held various positions within the Library Department, including Collection Development Librarian, Reference Librarian and Special Collections Librarian.
She served as Branch Manager at the St. George Library from 2005 to 2007 and was named Director of the Washington County Library System in August of 2007. She has served as Washington branch manager since 2013.
Brenda received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Education and an endorsement in school libraries K-12 from Southern Utah University[get-extapp-icons app=”extlink”]. She is a member of the Utah Library Association[get-extapp-icons app=”extlink”].