Maricarol Darden, Branch Manager
What We Do
We provide open, non-judgmental access to collections and services without regard to race, citizenship, age, educational level, economic status, religion, or any other qualifications or conditions. The library is to serve the total community by providing free and open access to the ideas and information available on all subjects and in all formats. We select and make available materials for the enlightenment, cultural enrichment and enjoyment of its public of all ages, levels of abilities and interest. Also, we advocate and support the First Amendment Rights and the Library Bill of Rights, and protect library materials from censorship.
The Washington County Library System provides staff, collections, physical and virtual spaces that promote ideas, inspire lifelong learning, and strengthen communities. Our objectives are:
- Provide collections and services to meet community needs and interests
- Promote the Washington County Library System, the Utah State Library, and all library services available in the state
- Promote the awareness and use of library resources, services, and programs
- Develop and maintain working relationships with other libraries and with cultural, educational, social, and informational agencies
- Attract and develop a high-quality staff with special skills, knowledge, and abilities to help library users
- Create an environment which motivates staff to achieve high levels of performance, productivity, and professional development
- Exercise prudence in the utilization of human, financial, and physical resources
- Utilize appropriate technologies to maintain and improve library operations and services
- Provide and maintain clean, open, and welcoming facilities
Maricarol Darden has a BS in Elementary Education from the University of Nebraska and MLS from North Carolina Central University. In Iowa, she taught life skills and technology skills and was the librarian of a high school for 9 years. She moved to Washington, Utah in 2011. Maricarol has worked for the Washington County Library System as a substitute, part-time employee, Circulation Supervisor and most recently as the branch manager of the New Harmony Branch Library. She is delighted to be the manager at the Washington Branch! Outside of work Maricarol enjoys reading, sewing, art journaling, tai chi, walking and spending time with her family.